- Lecturer at the Dpt. of Communication, University of Vienna
- Board Member of the Austrian Network of Autonomous Women Shelters
- Member of Advisory Board – OLIve – Open Learning Initiative, Refugee Education Initiatives
- Member of European Network on Gender and Violence (ENGV)
- Lecturer on Gender and Politics, Dept. Political Science, University of Vienna
- Gender- & Diversity Sensitive Researcher & Lecturer in Communication and Social Sciences
- Obtained a Dr. phil., Ph.D. thesis on the comparative study on gender-based violence in European anti-violence intiatives:”Shaping the Visual of Gender-based Violence”
- Graduated with a MA in Journalism & Communication Sciences, Political Sciences, Media Studies, Master’s thesis on gender, politics and media
- Certification in Crisis and Trauma Counseling, Sigmund Freud University Linz, Austria
- International Certified Coach (ICC) – License ICC 9585
- UPEACE Certificate “Trafficking in Persons”; Human Rights Center, University for Peace – United Nations
Focus & Specialties:
- Communication and Policy Research
- Gender Studies, Feminist Studies
- Gender and Equality Issues
- Refugees, Post-Migration, Inclusion
- Interactive Media, ICT, Media monitoring, Media Representation
- Post-Structuralism, De-Constructivism, Discourse & Dispositive Analysis
Interests: Research and management in gender-, social- and/or equality related issues, interdisciplinary working approach
VISIONS: Bridging gaps, social justice, diversity, gender equality, connecting people, communicating, organizing and researching for a life in dignity, free of violence and with free access to education, information and decent work for all.
Vision: Open borders, ridging gaps, social justice, diversity, gender equality, connecting people, communicating, organizing and researching for a life in dignity, free of violence and with free access to education, information and decent work for all.
- 2019 – present Member of Advisory Board – OLIve – Open Learning Initiative, Refugee Education Initiatives
- 2015 – 2018 Board Member, Women Shelter Amstetten, Lower Austria
- 2014 – present Member of the International Coaching Community (ICC)
- 2013 – present Member of European Network on Gender and Violence (ENGV)
- 2011-present Founding Member – HERMES Research Group, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- 2011 – present Board Member of the AÖF – Austrian Women’s Shelter Network
- 2005-2015 Founding Member of Regionale Frauenplattform, Mank, NÖ
- 2003-2005 Member NÖ Verband Feministischer Wissenschafterinnen
- 2019 Certificate Crisis and Trauma Counseling, Sigmund Freud University Linz, Austria
- 2014 UPEACE Certificate “Trafficking in Persons”, at Human Rights Center, University for Peace – United Nations, Costa Rica
- 2013 UAB Doctor (Dr. phil.) in Communication Science
- 2010 UAB Master (MII) in History and Theory of Audiovisual Representation
- 2009-13 PhD scholarship at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB, Spain)
- 2006-07 Postgraduate Course in Research for Social Sciences (SORA); Vienna
- 2004 Master (MA) in Communication Science & Journalism, University of Vienna
- 2004 „MUTIK“ Training course for multipliers in ICT, Danube University Krems
- 2000-04 Studies Studies in Communication Science & Journalism, and in a Combination of Political Science and Media Studies, University of Vienna
- 2018/09 Train-the-trainer Training “Violence against women and girls in the internet”, Weisser Ring, Austria
- 2018/09 Workshop “Violence Protection and Residence Law”, Asylcoordination, Vienna, Austria
- 2018/06 CoE training seminar “Mapping support services for victims of violence against women in line with the Istanbul Convention standards”, Strasbourg
- 2016/11 Workshop “Gender based violence in the context of escape and asylum”, Workshop, MEN | FEM Health Center, Vienna, Austria
- 2014/05 HORIZON2020 Competitive Proposal Writing
- 2013-2014 International Coaching Certification by ICC, EMCC, ICF,
certified in June 2014, title obtained: International Certified Coach
- 2011/07 Body, memory, and representation. Dialogue between Adriana Cavarero and Judith Butler, Summer Course, 11-13 July; at UAB- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- 2007 Expert Seminary on Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation
with Joana Adesuwa Reiterer (Nigeria), Association EXIT (Vienna)
combating human trafficking from Africa to Europe,
organised by the Autonomous Women’s Shelter Network, Austria
- 2007 Expert Seminary on Mental Health Problems
in consequence of intimate partner violence, organised by the Autonomous Women’s Shelter Network, Austria
- 2006-07 Postgraduate Course in Research for Social Sciences (SORA); Vienna
- 2007 English for Human Rights and Social Sciences, Language Center,
University of Vienna, Austria
PhD Thesis: Wolf, B. (2013) ‘Shaping the Visual’ of gender-based violence. How visual discourse on intimate partner violence and European anti-violence initiatives construct accounts of the social world. UAB; Spain.
Languages: German (Native Speaker), English, Spanish
Academic /Professional Experiences
- March 2015-present: Lecturer, University of Vienna, Dept. of Communication <https://publizistik.univie.ac.at/en/home/>
- March 2017-present: Project Coordinator, Social Scientist, Verein Notruf.Beratung (Emergency.Counseling for raped women & girls) 1170 Vienna, Austria <www.frauenberatung.at>
- Dec. 2015-June2017: Social Services & Project Coordination, Johanniter Refugee Aid, Refugee Camps in Vienna, Johanniter NÖ-Wien Rettungs- und Einsatzdienste mildtätige GmbH, Vienna Austria
- 2014-present Academic Supervisor at Danube University Krems
- 2013-present Gender Expert in project RedEN – Reduction of energy poverty through building renovation with the participation of the residents; ksoe.at
- Since 06/2014 International Certified Coach, by ICC, EMCC, ICF
- 04-05/2014 External Reviewer, NWO – Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research
- 2014-2018 Academic Supervisor, (2013-2014 Member of Research Staff), Interactive Media and Educational Technologies (IMB) at Danube University Krems
- 2013-present: Gender Expert in project RedEN – Reduction of energy poverty through building renovation with the participation of the residents; ksoe.at
- 2012/2013 Lecturer in Journalism – special information on audiovisual communication, at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- 2012/06 Facilitator for the WAVE Coordination Committee at WAVE Task Force Meeting June 25-26, WAVE – Women Against Violence Europe in Vienna.
- 2012 Lecturer in Production and expression in journalism and interactive multimedia, at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- 2011 Lecturer in Script writing at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- 2011-pres. Consultant of Hèlia – association to support women suffering from gender violence.
- 2009-2013 Ph.D. Researcher, Academic Staff, Dep. for Audiovisual Communication and Advertising, at the Autonomous University of Barcelona
- 2009-11 Lecturer in Cinematography at the Autonomous University of Barcelona
- 2008 Facilitator at ECREA Women’s Network Panel, European Conference of Communication ECREA, November 27, Barcelona, Spain
- 2007-08 Public Relation Officer, Autonomous Women´s Shelter Network, Information Centre against violence, Vienna, Austria.
- 2007 Press Officer for International Conference “Stop domestic violence against women – Ten years of Austrian anti-violence legislation in the international context”; 5 and 6 November 2007, Vienna, Palais Auersperg.
- 2006 Co-Organizer of the International Congress: Crisis Communication, International Risk and Disaster for Businesses, Associations, Authorities and Politicians, in cooperation with Internationaler Krisengipfel, at Danube University Krems, Centre for International Journalism, March 23, Krems, Austria.
- 2006 Lecturer in “Politics & Media”; at the University of Salzburg, Department for Communication Sciences.
- 2005-07 Researcher, Course Director of the MSc “PR & Integrated Communication”, International Journalism Center, at Danube University Krems, Austria.
- 2005 Lecturer in “Methods of Gender Studies: Practising Frigga Haug’s ‘Erinnerungsarbeit'”; at the University of Vienna, Department for Communication Science & Journalism.
- 2004-2005 Academic Consultant, WEST Women East Smuggling Trafficking, (Interreg IIIA Project); at Mountain Unlimited Association (Austria)
- 2004 Gender Mainstreaming Officer; Project NOEL – new opportunities for equality in Lower Austria; Project contractor: Women’s Department, State Government of Lower Austria.
- 2003-04 Tutoring: Seminary for Gender Studies, Seminary for Gender Methodologies ”Erinnerungsarbeit”; Dep. for Communication Science & Journalism, University of Vienna
Research Experience – Research Projects
- 2018: Concept for nationwide specialised services for women and girls (from 14) as victims of sexual violence and rape
- 2016: “Free of Fear”, “More than food” – psychotherapeutic projects to cope with trauma and post-migration stress in refugee shelters.
- 2013-2015: Consultancy on gender Issues, RedEN – Reduction of energy poverty through building renovation with the participation of the residents; ksoe.at
- 12/2013-2014/06: VALERU – Validation of non-formal/informal learning in Russian Higher Education
- 10/2013-present: PIAAC Austria – Expert analysis: ICT competences in contexts of employment
- 03/2013-present: ICT-Go-Girls! – Promoting secondary school girls entrepreneurship through ICT. LLP Comenius program, project partner Danube University Krems.
- 03/2013- present: Europortfolio. A European Network of ePortfolio Experts and Practitioners. LLP Trancersal programm, project partner Danube University Krems.
- 2010 Global Media Monitoring Project (GMMP 2010), country report of Spain. Monitoring researcher in the Spanish Team coordinated by Elvira Altés, Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- 2007 Initiative – Women Topics in the Media. Gender media monitoring research in Lower Austria with Silvia Ettl-Huber, Danube University Krems, Project contractor: Women’s Department, State Government of Lower Austria.
- 2007 Potentials in Communication to Increase EU-Acceptance. Forum for EUrope. Research on the EU skepticism in Lower Austria, (Interreg IIIA-Project Austria-Slovakia) Head of Research together with Ettl-Huber Silva, Project contractor: Institute for the Danube Region and Central Europe, Vienna.
- 2006 Breaking Patterns – New Role Models for Men in Leadership. (EU Project) Project Evaluation, Danube University Krems, Project contractor: Women’s Department, State Government of Lower Austria
- 2004-2005 WEST Women East Smuggling Trafficking, (Interreg IIIA Project); Scientific Consultant; Mountain Unlimited Association, Project contractor: Regione Emilia-Romagna – Assessorato Politiche Sociali, Italy.
- 2004 Project NOEL – new opportunities for equality in Lower Austria. (EU-Project) Project Evaluator with Hanna Risku, Noella Edelman at Danube University Krems, Project contractor: Women’s Department, State Government of Lower Austria.
Conferences and presentations
- 2018/09/19 Niederschwellige Unterstützung bei Trauma und Postmigrationsstress. Eine Feldbeobachtung der Good Practice im Integrationsprozess. (Support for trauma and postmigration stress. A field observation of good practice in the integration process Paper presentation, Dialog-Forum, Danube University Krems, (with A. Razmaria)
- 2017/11/09 Gender, refugees and violence during postmigration. Practical experience report. [orig. titel in German, Gender, Flucht und Gewalt in der Phase der Postmigration: Ein Praxisbericht.] Consultation meeting “Social Inclusion of Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons and Migrants from the Gender Perspective” for the ,,Women´s Development Summit 2017/2018“ , Frankfurt.
- 2017/10/12 Women, Escape and Violence. Lecture in the context of the training series “Violence makes you sick”, Vienna Program for Women’s Health
- 2016/9/25 – Media, Refugees and EU Borders: Ethic Principles Abandoned, paper presentation at 1st International Conference on “Europe in Discourse: Identity, Diversity, Borders”, September 23rd-25th, 2016 in Athens, Greece
- 2016/09/21 Johanniter Emergency Accommodation | More than Food and Shampoo, Best Practice Poster Presentation, Symposium – Freiwilligenarbeit in der Flüchtlingshilfe (Volunteer work in refugee support), Donau-Universität Krems2016/9/21 – Johanniter Emergency Accommodation | More than Food and Shampoo, poster presentation at Symposium – Freiwilligenarbeit in der Flüchtlingshilfe, Danube University Krems, Austria
- 2015/12/07 Gender, Violence against Women and Media Regulation, guest lecture at Medien- und Kommunikationspolitik, Dep. Kommunikationswissenschaft, Universität Wien.
- 2015/12/02“I am human”, participating observations of a volunteering researcher on media, journalistic ethics and refugee crisis; paper presentation at the International Round Table “Refugees, Media and International Law”, University of Vienna, event organised by the Media Governance & Industries Research Lab
- 2015/10/2 Facilitator Panel II: Macht und Geschlecht, Kommunikationswissenschaftliche Geschlechterforschung als kritische
Gesellschaftsanalyse Jahrestagung der Fachgruppe Medien, Öffentlichkeit und Geschlecht in der DGPuK, Universität Salzburg
- 2015/5/6 Visuelle Um.Auf.Brüche. Alternative Repräsentationen und widerständige Diskurselemente geschlechtsbasierter Gewalt at Kicking Images – Bilderpolitiken / sexualisierte Gewalt / Interventionen, Kunstuniversität Linz, 6-8.5.2015
- 2014/09 Dispositive power arrangements of visual anti-violence discourse. Paper presentation, Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines (CADAAD) 2014 Conference, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, 1-3. Sept.
- 2014/04/24 Gender und die Weichenstellung in die Zukunft. Betrachtungen zu den Schlüsselkompetenzen „Computerkompetenz“ sowie „Eigeninitiative und UnternehrInnetum“. [Gender and the opening for the future. Considerations on ICT and entrepreneurship competences]. At EDU|days 2014, Danube University Krems, 24 April 2014. (presentation on youtube in German)
- 2014/04/22 Anti-violence initiatives in Europe – A comparative study on visual discourse to end gender-based violence in Austria and Spain, at Annual Conference of the European Network on Gender and Violence (ENGV) University of Malta , Valletta Campus, 21 ‐ 23 April 2014
- 2014/04/02 Visual representations of gender-based violence. A comparative study on visual discourse of anti-violence initiatives in Austria and Spain, II International Conference on Gender and Communication, University of Sevilla, School of Communication 1 – 3 April 2014
- 2013/12/12 Good Practice Initiatives: Promoting Entrepreneurship Among Secondary School Girls through ICT; Congreso Innovatia 8.3, Woman Emprende, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- 2013/12/05+06 E-Portfolios als Modell für Informationsmanagement, Content-Sharing und kollaborative Content-Generierung in einer sicheren Social-Web-Umgebung. Mahara und die social platform von ICT-go-girls! edu-sharing-Workshops „Qualitätsgesicherte Contents in Community-Portalen und vernetzten Infrastrukturen“, Goethe Universität Frankfurt
- 2012 Anti-violence legislation in Austria (A viewpoint from the WAVE-network Women Against Violence Europe) Presentation at V FÒRUM EUROPEU CONTRA LES VIOLÈNCIES DE GÈNERE, sesión: Perspectiva de la violencia de género más allá de la ley, November 15, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2011 Gender-based violence and the challenges of visual representation, at Gendered Violence Conference, University of the West of England, Nov. 23-25, Bristol UK.
- 2011 Silence becomes complex: documentary images on gender-based violence; Panel There is always something to listen to: Silence in documentary discourse; at International Conference: Visible Evidence 18, August 11-14. New York City, USA
- 2011 Gender Violence & the Visual. An explorative Study. At: Interdisziplinäre Summer School für NachwuchswissenschaftlerInnen: „Aktueller Stand der Forschung zu geschlechtsbezogener Gewalt“; WAVE & Universität Wien, Institut für Politikwissenschaften; July 4-5.
- 2011 Gender Violence & the Media. Representations of intimate partner violence – information or disinformation? Paper Presentation at II International Conference on Intercultural Studies, 25 – 27 May, at ISCAP, Porto, Portugal.
- 2011 55th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women CSW55, Consultant of Hèlia Association; NGO-Participation at United Nations, Feb. 22 -28, New York City, USA.
- 2009 The situation of young women professors in the Faculty of Communication Sciences of the Autonomous University of Barcelona. ECREA Women’s Network Workshop Gender in European Academia on Difference and Discrimination in Communication Research; Paper presentation with Nuria Simelio Sola and Florencia Rovetto Gonem, 25 November, Porto, Portugal.
- 2009 The WAVE-network Women against violence Europe. Presentation at II FÒRUM EUROPEU CONTRA LES VIOLÈNCIES DE GÈNERE, sesión: Perspectiva de la violencia de gènere a Europa, November 19, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2007 Perspektiven zur Zusammenarbeit von NGO‘s und Behörden. Presentation at Final Conference of the AGIS 2005 project Cross-border cooperation with local authorities and social work in the areas of forced prostitution, trafficking and sexual exploitation of children by KARO e.V., October 4.-5, Franzensbad/Frantiskovni Lazne, Czech Republic.
- 2004 Trafficking and sexual exploitation – information activities by Mountain Unlimited, Presentation at Conference WEST Women East Smuggling Trafficking, State Government of the Emilia-Romagna – Assessorato Politiche Sociali, November 26-27, Bologna, Italy.
- GO TO: academic publications
- GO TO: journalistic publications